Attentional Problems (ADHD or ADD)
Roslyn, Great Neck, Jericho and surrounding area

ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, previously known as ADD), and the Insatiable Craving for Stimulation can be characterized by what appears to be an individual’s almost insatiable craving or need for stimulation. For most of us, under-stimulation appears to be a direct precursor to the experience of boredom and distractibility. For the non-ADHD individual, satisfying the need for stimulation in any given setting is relatively straight forward. For someone with an attentional problem, such as ADHD, the issue become more complicated; the ADHD individual appears to require a great deal more stimulation than the non-ADHD individual. Gratifying such a heightened need or craving for stimulation often proves daunting, predisposing the individual to be continuously fight off feelings of boredom. Distractibility may be considered as an attempt by the individual to locate alternative sources of stimulation capable of satisfying his/her craving and alleviate the feeling of boredom.

In a more formal sense, ADHD is a chronic, developmental disorder beginning before age 8-years and lasting 6-months or longer. The presence of ADHD makes it difficult for children and adults to focus their attention and control their behavior. Symptoms of the disorder may vary from individual to individual, and can range from mild to severe; ADHD symptoms of poor concentration or inattention, distractibility, disorganization, impatience, hyperactivity and impulsivity continue into adulthood for about 70 percent of the children affected. Overt hyperactivity, however, seems to diminish somewhat during the course of adolescence and appears to be partially replaced in adulthood by an internal feeling of restlessness. ADHD has been classified into three sub-types: inattentive, hyperactive-impulsive and combined type and is related to impairment in school, occupational and social settings, as well as to an increased risk of marital discord, separation and divorce.

To contact Dr. Cristal, please click here.

Robert M. Cristal Ph.D